top of page
American Tax Building


You have questions.

We have answers.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?
    To claim your child as a dependent, your child must meet either the qualifying child test or the qualifying relative test: To meet the qualifying child test, your child must be younger than you and either younger than 19 years old or be a "student" younger than 24 years old as of the end of the calendar year. There is no age limit if your child is "permanently and totally disabled" or meets the qualifying relative test. In addition to meeting the qualifying child or qualifying relative test, your child must also meet all the other tests for claiming a dependent: Dependent taxpayer test Citizen or resident test Joint return test
  • How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?
    There are several ways to tell the IRS that your address has changed: IRS FORM - Use IRS Form 8822, Change of Address or IRS Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party-Business. TAX RETURN - Use your new address when you file your tax return. WRITTEN STATEMENT - Send the IRS a written statement with your: Full Name Old Address New Address Social Security Number (ITIN or EIN) Mail your written statement to the address where you filed your last return.
  • Can I receive a tax refund if I owe for a prior year's federal taxes since I am currently making a payment under an installment agreement payment plan?
    No, one of the conditions of your installment agreement is that any refund due to you, the IRS will automatically apply against the taxes you owe. Because the refund isn't applied towards your regular monthly payments, continue making your installment agreement payments as scheduled until you pay your liability, including accrued penalties and interest in full.
  • To qualify for Head-of-Household filing status, do I have to claim my child as a dependent?
    Generally, to qualify for the Head-of-Household filing status, you must have a qualifying child or dependent. However, a custodial parent may be able to claim the Head-of-Household filing status with a qualifying child even if he or she released a claim to exemption for that child.
  • Where is my tax return?
    Visit our tax return page here to learn more.
  • Advance Child tax Credits: How do I reconcile my Advance Child Tax Credit payments?
    When you file your 2021 federal tax return you will need to reconcile the Child Tax Credit. You will need to know the exact amount of Advance Child Tax Credit you received to compare against what the actual Child Tax Credit you qualify for on the 2021 tax return. If the amount of your 2021 Child Tax Credit is greater than the total of your Advance Child Tax Payments, you will claim the remaining amount on your 2021 tax return. If the amount you received in Advance Child Tax Credits exceeds the amount of Child tax Credit that you actually qualify for on your 2021 tax return, you may need to REPAY to the IRS that amount that you didn’t qualify for, based upon your income.
  • If I qualify for repayment protection for the Excess Child Tax Credit that I owe, how much repayment relief will I qualify for?
    If you are required to repay Advance Child tax Credit payments, you may qualify for Repayment Protection which can protect you for part or all of the excess amount. This Repayment Protection is based on your filing status and your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) on your 2022 federal tax return.

Have any other questions?

Give us a call 608-757-1989) or fill out the contact form:

bottom of page